Applying highlighter can give your skin a beautiful color boost and enhance your bone structure as well. Highlighter only takes a few seconds to apply because you only apply it to a few small areas of your face. However, just a few dabs of highlighter can brighten up your entire face. Even if you are new to applying makeup, learning to apply highlighter is easy.
Enhancing Your Cheeks, Nose, and Forehead
1. Start by applying foundation and concealer.
Applying foundation and concealer will help to ensure a more even canvas for your highlighter and other makeup. Concealer can help to hide minor imperfections and brighten your skin even more. Take the time to apply your usual foundation before you begin to apply any highlighter and apply concealer if desired.
- Use a sponge or makeup brush to blend your foundation well all over your face.
- If you have any dark circles or minor imperfections, use some concealer to add a little extra coverage to those areas. This will make it easier for you to draw attention to the highlighted areas as well.
- You can also use concealer to map out the areas where you plan to apply highlighter. Try applying a few dots of concealer onto the bridge of your nose, on your cheekbones, down the center of your forehead, under your eyes, and in the crease on your chin. Make sure that you blend the concealer well.
2. Apply highlighter to the tops of your cheekbones.
Take a blush brush or a kabuki brush and use it to apply a bit of highlighter to the area just above your cheekbones. You can apply one layer for a subtle effect or apply multiple layers for more intense highlights.
3. Dab a little highlighter on the tip of your nose.
Get a bit of highlighter onto your fingertip and then dab it onto the tip of your nose. Move your finger back and forth to blend the highlighter. Remember that you do not need much highlighter, just a small dab.
4. Brush some highlighter down the center of your forehead
To accentuate the center of your forehead, you can sweep some highlighter down the center of your forehead towards the bridge of your nose. Start at the center of your hairline on your forehead and sweep straight downwards.
- If you want a more dramatic highlighting effect, then you can sweep the highlighter all the way down the bridge of your nose, but this is optional.
Enhancing Your Eyes, Lips, and Chin
1. Apply highlighter to the inner corners of your eyes.
Use a highlighting eyeshadow brush and get a little highlighter onto the tip. Then, take the brush and press it into the corners of your inner eyelids.
- You can apply a couple of layers if you want a more dramatic effect or just apply a light dusting for some subtle highlights.
2. Sweep highlighter onto your brow bones.
The areas just below your eyebrows will catch a lot of light, so this is a nice area to highlight. Try sweeping highlighter over your brow bones, the areas just under your eyebrows.
- Try to keep most of the highlighter on the outer edges of your brow bone. You do no need to apply highlighter to your entire brow bone.
- You can also extend the highlighter down towards the creases of your eyelids for an extra eye brightening effect.
3. Add a dab of highlighter just above your upper lip.
The area in the center of your upper lip is called your cupid’s bow and highlighting this area will draw more attention to your lips. Get a small amount of highlighter on your fingertip and press it onto this area.
- Don’t apply the highlighter to your actual lip, just to the area right above your lip.
4. Brush highlighter over the center of your chin.
- Be careful not to apply too much highlighter to this area. You only need a light dusting.
- If you highlighted your forehead, then try to keep the highlighter on your chin in line with the highlighter on your forehead.